Wednesday 10 June 2009

Arousing Your Curiosity

Hello Everyone,

I hope you are all fine and that your life, love and work provide you with satisfaction.

I am preparing for a video piece and got carried away on the wings of poetry. So even though I cannot use it in the work I want to share the text with you along with some pix from a connected performance from last year.

Love/Per



It is sitting watching its favourite plant that looks a bit like a maize stalk. The beautiful and majestic marvel grows out of soil that is mixed with digital hardware and books on logic. The traces of mouldy pages, small pieces of broken circuit board are scattered on the ground.

It can sit there for hours and watch how the equations change on its long, narrow leaves and how the muscular stalk is generating new number-series as it is vibrating in the wind.

The most rewarding moment of the day is when the sun sets and it can burn a few dried larvae in the incense module and hook the plant up to its digital interface and watch it generate more beautiful algorithms than it thought were possible.



















It is watching the plant and sipping on its favourite oolong tea. The last dying rays of the sun spin through the treetops. It looks at some print-outs of the equations that the plant generates today.
“You must be very proud,” I say.
“Oh, I am.” its voice is deep and confident. There is not a twitch of surprise at hearing my voice.
“You really have achieved marvels in your garden, don’t you want to share your discoveries with the world?”
“No, not really. This is my sanctuary. I only do it for my own pleasure. I have been chasing too many rainbows in my life. Now I want to find pleasure, that's all.”
“Hmm, I like that.”
“What about you? Why do you do what you do?”
“That is a good question,” I can hear my own silence.
“And what is the answer?”
“Calm my friend, that is a very good question and I will reply when you are ready for it, OK?”

No comments:

Post a Comment